Thursday, June 11, 2009

reasons I hate the state where I live nos. 45682 and 45683

I went to get a new driver's license this week, with my new married name. I walk into the state DMV and wait patiently in line to get a number so that I can wait to be called up to the desk to actually do the transaction. I get up there, they figure it all out, charge me $25, take my picture and....

they'll mail me my new ID in 7-10 days.

WTF? I have never been to a DMV where they didn't just print out the ID right there. AND it's not as though these IDs are fancy or anything--they're laminated print-outs. Prime fakers material. My old ID had a hologram on it and they still were able to print it on the spot!

To make matters more annoying, they took my old hologrammed ID and STAPLED IT to the print out showing that I had a new ID coming and CUT THE CORNER OFF OF IT. It's the most ridiculous, backwater bullshit I have ever seen. I have to fly today...thank god I have my passport.

Speaking of my passport, did you know that when you change your name you have to pay the passport fee all over again? And since the hubs and I are traveling in August--less than 10 weeks--I'll have to pay the additional $60 to have it expedited! Ugh! If I knew that getting my name changed was such a pain in the ass, I wouldn't have done it. Seriously.

Okay, but on to reason 45,683: I'm being audited. Keep in mind that, before this year, the state had never heard of me. I had never worked here, never had a driver's license here, never voted here...nothing. (And that's on purpose.) Anyway, so even though I didn't work here last year either, I had to file taxes here as my state of residence. I sent them $1,800 they were not expecting. $1,800 from a person they've never heard of. What do they do? MAKE SURE SHE'S LEGIT. Definitely going to need to double-check, make sure she doesn't owe us like $1,950 or something. Assholes.

Anyway, two more months here and then I'm FREE AT LAST, FREE AT LAST, and I'll get to experience yet another state's DMV quirks. Awesome.

4 comments:

  1. you do live in a pretty sad state, but i've never received a driver's license on the spot. granted, my home state is about a month away from shutting down the government, so it's probably not the best example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i thought it was free to change your name on the passport - you just had to pay to expedite if you need it faster than the normal 6 weeks?

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have to take a test to get a licence in IL. but, it's an easy one. I didn't study and I only missed one. And when you go to the DMV, the line will seem 18 hours long, but somehow, your line will be 10 minutes. Also, it's $10. But they do print it out right away! PS - it's in the Thompson Center downtown. You can google it. Or not I guess. That's what I know!

    PS - not printing it right away, that is total and complete crap

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teresa: if you received your passport less than a year ago, it's true that it's free. However, if like me, you received your passport over a year ago, you must pay all the fees all over again.

    ReplyDelete