Thursday, July 2, 2009

on MJ

So I had composed this whole long post about how confused I am about the reaction to Michael Jackson's death--and how upset people are, and how no one is talking about the fact that he may or may not have molested a bunch of kids (and, at the very least had an unsettling relationship with many of them) and that, in his later years, he became a total weirdo with the surgery and the KID NAMED BLANKET and whatnot.

But then fucking JOHN MAYER of all people goes and says it better and less hurtfully than I could have.


Michael Jackson proves, in a really sort of perverse way, that maybe we're not as offended by your behavior as we are entranced by your music. And think about that. Think about what level of quality you must have to attain to have somebody say, "I know that you're accused of having molested children, but I can't hate you for that as much as I love you for your music." I'm not saying that's right or wrong. But I'm saying that its fascinating. That somebody could be that great. That somebody could have that much of a marriage with your emotions just through music.


Sigh. It really is fascinating.

1 comment: